Wildflowers for Jade: Sacrificed To A Greater Good

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Sacrificed To A Greater Good

The chimes sing a discordant song orchestrated by the wind. The birds sing their own song in glorious refrain. Looking out on the waters of the bayou, sparkling with wind and sunlight, I'm filled with the life of the world. But I was never here. 

I don't know if the things you've done, good and bad, tip more one way or the other on the scales. I don't know how mine tilt either. How we contribute to the world, even the world doesn't know. The people around us can internalize one thing or another that we've said and done, and be better or worse for it. They may never know the weight of it themselves. 

In a dream I was sacrificed for The Greater Good. I and my child. I tried to define Greater Good first, to make that decision, but that decision wasn't asked or allowed of me. Only my sacrifice was demanded. 

Our Christian history is full of martyrs. Martyrs for God's Good and Glory are of a different story. The World's leaders don't get to decide for me, and especially for my son, what The Greater Good is, and demand my sacrifice. There is no Great Good if it's gotten there on a road paved with human bones. 

Continued in "This and the Moral Line"



No comments:

Post a Comment